There is a graph that will help you to get started. Scroll down and you will find the link to the site.
So this is it! I don’t know how many times I had to unravel it and start over again but I didn’t give up. This is the most important thing about when you crochet. Don’t give up! I usually have more then one project started and I will just put the project on the side and finish another one. Don’t try to hard because you’ll just get frustrated and shuck it in the corner. I know what I am talking about 🙂
You will need to know these stitches: chain (ch), beginning bobble (beg bobble), bobble, single crochet (sc), half double crochet (hdc), and double crochet (dc). You will also need to know how to decrease stitches.
To make beginning bobble: ch3, [yarn over, insert hook into stitch indicated, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through2 loops on hook] twice. (3 loops on hook). Yarn over, pull through all 3 loops on hook. (beginning bobble made)
To make bobble: [Yarn over, insert hook in stitch indicated, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through 2 loops on hook] three times. (4 loops on hook). Yarn over and draw through all four loops on hook. (bobble stitch made)
To decrease one hdc: Yarn over, insert hook into stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over, insert hook in next stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop. (5 loops on hook). Yarn over and draw through all five loops on hook. (one hdc dec made)
For this project you will need: worsted yarn, a 5mm hook, a 5.5mm hook, large blunt tapestry needle, ribbon, fabric, sewing needle, thread, and sewing machine (if you want to line your bag).
• 1) With 5.5mm hook, ch 26. Make beg bobble in third chain from hook (do not chain 3 for this one—starting in the third chain from the hook counts as your ch 3). Ch 1, skip next ch. * Make bobble in next ch, ch 1.* Repeat * to * until the last chain. Make two more bobble, ch1 groups in last chain (see graph). Spin your work so that the completed bobbles are facing you. You will now crochet into the other side of the chain (you are now crocheting in the round). *Bobble in same ch as next bobble, ch 1.* Repeat * to * around to first beg bobble. Make another bobble in the first chain (so each end has 3 bobbles). Join with a sl st to top of beg bobble. (26 bobble stitches)
• 2) Sl st into first spc. Make beg bobble, ch 1. *Bobble in next ch 1 spc, ch 1.* Repeat * to * around. Join with sl st to top of beg bobble.
• 3 to 6) Repeat round 2
• 7 to 8) Change to 5mm hook. Repeat round 2.
• 9) Sl st to first ch 1 spc. Ch 2 (counts as first hdc), hdc in same spc. Make 2 hdc into each ch 1 spc around. Join with sl st to top of first ch 2.
• 10 to 11) Ch 2 (counts as first hdc). Hdc into each hdc around, decreasing 2 evenly around (Meaning, you will only make a total of 2 decreases in this round — just make sure they’re not right next to each other). Join with sl st to first ch 2.
• 12) Ch 3 (counts as first dc). Dc into each hdc around. Join with sl st to first ch 3.
• 13) Ch 2 (counts as first hdc). Hdc into each dc around, decreasing 2 evenly around (Meaning, you will only make a total of 2 decreases in this round — just make sure they’re not right next to each other). Join with sl st or invisible join to first ch 2. Cut yarn and weave in ends.
To make strap:
• Lay your bag body flat and find the center side stitch. Join your yarn two stitches to the right of the center side stitch. Make 5 sc into bag side. *Ch 1, turn, sc into each of the five sc below.* Repeat * to * four times (until you have five rows total).
• Decrease one sc (this will be ch 1, insert hook into first sc, yarn over, draw up a loop, insert hook into next sc, yarn over, draw up a loop, yarn over, draw through all 3 loops on hook). Sc in next sc. Decrease one sc. (3 sc)
• *Ch 1. Sc into each of the 3 sc below* Repeat * to * until your strap measures half of what you want the length to be. Finish off and cut yarn, leaving a sewing length.
• Repeat first 3 steps to make the other side of the strap. Using yarn ends, sew the strap halves together with a whip stitch. Knot and weave in ends.
• With right side facing you, join yarn in any hdc on top of bag body. Ch 1. Sc evenly around bag body opening as well as strap. Join to first sc with sl st or invisible join. Cut yarn, weave in ends. Repeat for other side
• Cut a long length of ribbon. Pin a safety pin to one end of the ribbon and use it as a guide to weave in and out of the double crochets from round 12. Tie a bow, trim the ends, and apply Fray Check (if desired). I also sewed a little stitch in the center knot of my bow to keep it in place.
I am thinking about making a liner as well. Have fun and post a picture or a comment on my site as well when you are done.